Frequently asked questions

These are some of the most common marine questions (FAQs) we get asked by new and existing clients. If your question isn’t listed here, please visit our contact page and pop us an email using the enquiry form. Alternatively, you can call us directly on +27 (042) 294 1500.

You are not permitted to operate a water vessel in South Africa without a valid Certificate of Fitness (COF) in respect of that vessel. This means your boat or jet ski has to comply with certain regulations and inspections.

Your vessel must be surveyed (inspected) annually and issued a Certificate of Fitness (COF) by either a SAMSA surveyor or a safety officer appointed by an authorised agency. To pass the inspection, you must have the correct safety equipment and a valid buoyancy certificate (expires every five years). Safety equipment requirements are divided into categories (B, C, D and R) depending on where you will be using your vessel. We can help you apply for your COF – just call us on +27 (042) 294 1500.

The term buoyancy is used to refer to the bottles and/or foam placed inside your boat in order to maintain flotation in a damaged or flooded state. A buoyancy certificate is required for you to get a valid Certificate of Fitness (along with the necessary safety equipment). Bouyancy certificates are valid for five years from date of issue.

We are affiliated with Standard Bank. This means that we can only facilitate finance transactions for clients who bank with Standard Bank. This is only temporary, and we are currently investigating financing opportunities with other banks. If you don’t bank with Standard Bank, there are a number of financing agencies we are more than happy to put you in touch with. To qualify for financing in South Africa you must be a South African citizen with a valid bar-coded ID document. You must also have a clear and healthy credit record, earn a minimum salary of R8 500 per month, and have a valid skipper’s licence as well as a certificate of competence.

In order to use the canals or river in St Francis Bay, you are required to purchase a licence. The price of these licences vary depending on if you will be using the river and/or the canals. For example, if you will be using a jet ski or boat on the canals, you will need a canal licence. If you will be using your boat on the river and the canals, then you will need a canal and river licence. Jet skis are not permitted on the river. These licences are only valid for one year (from 1 July to 30 June). You require a valid Certificate of Fitness to purchase these licences. Please click here to make an enquiry about purchasing your licence.

Our storage units are lock-up units with alarm facilities. Our prices vary depending on the size and type of your boat or jet ski. Click here to make an enquiry about our storage facilities.

Most definitely. We can collect your boat (or jet ski) from your home and launch it on your behalf. Once your holiday is over, we can take your boat out of the water, wash it and safely return it to your home storage. Click here to make an enquiry.

We most certainly do. We have all the resources and equipment necessary to accommodate a variety of boat sizes. Click here to make an enquiry.

We are certified to service all Mercury Marine motors. However, we can also service any other make of outboard, inboard, diesel or jet motors (as long as the motor being serviced is out of warranty). We prefer not to work on motors that are still under warranty as we are not certified to do so.

It is recommended that you service your motor once a year or every 100 hours (whichever comes first). In order to keep your motor in tip top shop between services, make sure to flush the engine after each trip, run the motor dry (if it’s a TwoStroke motor) and use efficient fuels such as Quicksilver’s FuelSaver.

You can use unleaded and leaded fuel due to the fact that inboard, outboard and most jet motors do not have catalytic converters. We do, however, recommend you always first consult your motor’s specific manufacturing schedule just to be safe.

We prefer to use Quicksilver’s CTS Advanced oil for two-cycle motors. However, it’s always best to first consult your motor’s manufacturer schedule. Still unsure? Give us a call on +27 (042) 294 1500 and ask for Brian – we’re sure he can help you out.

Of course we can! Anti-fouling is a great way to protect your hull and keep it fouling free. Give us a call on +27 (042) 294 1500 and we can talk you through the process.